Welcome to my predictions for the ITC industry in 2018. The market will grow, new nationalism will continue to disrupt normal spending patterns, cloud will outgrow everything else, vendor consolidation will continue as product areas commoditise, spending growth in EMEA will be behind the other continents… all developments of earlier trends. The big issue to emerge in 2018 will be the realisation that AI, machine learning and automation are moving too fast to maintain full employment. Governments around the world will find it increasingly difficult to handle the consequences, putting them at loggerheads with the largest ITC suppliers.
These are my predictions:
- The global ITC market grows 1.8% to $6.7 trillion
- EMEA ITC spending falls behind the Americas and Asia Pacific
- UK the worst, Switzerland the best country for spending growth
- SaaS, IaaS, PaaS – the fastest growing offerings
- Cloud – local and regional CSPs gain against global giants
- People are the product, but they don’t get paid
- Enterprise computing shifts off premise – AWS replaces Cisco as top enterprise supplier
- Storage commoditisation puts more suppliers out of business
- Oracle makes strong headway as an enterprise supplier
- Automation will create social disorder
As always I’ve had lots of help and suggestions from my friends and colleagues, to whom I give my thanks as always – and to Hieronymus Bosch for the illustrations. My process started with a self-assessment of my predictions for last year. I’m keen to discuss these ideas with you – especially if you disagree – so please contact me and book a meeting. Click on the following download my predictions as a document and/or slide set.